Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Katelyn Story it's long


I am unsure of how to begin? I will let my mom start my story-
Katelyn was born on July 19, after 9 months of worry and 18 hours of hard labor, to a 16 year old girl. Katelyn's Nana was the frist person to touch her other than the Dr. She was a tiny little girl weighing in a 6lbs 7 ounces but was 21 inches long. (it was her long legs). She was very fast learner and was able to capture the hearts anyone who crossed her path. She learned to walk at 9 months of age and was speaking in full sentances by the time she was a year old.
She grew in to a fesity little girl, a tomboy for most of her todddler years and elementry school years. She was very smart and was often found to be a peace maker and could be found defending anyone who was hurt or sad. She made friends quickly and formed lasting bonds to many people.
Katelyn lost (My mom)Nana on Nov 11, 2006, and Katelyn and Mikey lost thier biogical father on Mother's Day, May 12 of 2007, he died due to complactions of Huntonings.
Durring this time we noticed a change in Katelyn, she went from being a very happy and out going young lady-to a very with drawen and unpridicable young lady. Mike and I just assumed it was due to the stresses that she was dealing with all the hard time and the move from North carolina, back to iowa. Only God knew what had started going on with Katelyn:
Now i will let Katelyn tell her stoy-
I changed, mom says. I look back now and I can rember stuggling in school and being angery that i could not "get it". We had meetings with my teachers and i would tell everyone i was trying. I was sleeping alot and skipping school. I was trying but for some reason it just would not stay with me. I know i was mad about that. I got mad at mom and dad for not understanding. Up to this point i had been a honnor role student in all but math. I started to with draw and just be with Mikey. Me and mikey alway knew we had a chance to have the gene for Huntingtons. But we never dewlt on it and we never really worried about it. Than we started to really research HD. We were afraid that mikey was showing signs. So mom and mikey went to get tested in Iowa city. On june 10th 2009 we recvied GOT BEST NEWS, Mikey's test was negative for the muated gene!! They tested Mikey before he was 18 becasue they thought he was showing signs. I turned 18 on july 19th, and told mom that i wanted to be tested for the gene.
so mom made the calls and got it all set up. and me and mikey and mom went to Fort Dodge for my blood to be drawn. On OCT 16th, 2009 we went to des moines to recive my results. My "CAG" count was a high 57. What that means is i I have the gene for Huntonings. I have been showing signs for the last two years. But not the physical ones so much, till just the last six months. I have been stuggling with the thinking and rembering, and learing new things. I have lost over 30 pounds, and according to my mom and the dr, i do not have that to lose. I know my mom and mikey sitting in that room when the test results were read were upset, but i knew. I felt bad for mom and mikey. Mom said she was mad. But she is doing better now. Mikey, he is tring to be brave and stand at my side like the silly brother he is. Dad is always looking out for me. he just wants me happy.
Me i am doing ok today, i stuggle with it sometimes. I get mad when i cannot rember things or i think that i won't see my baby brothers finish high school. or get married and i never will have a baby. It makes me sad that i know my mom and dad will have to take care of me again and that some day they will bury me. It makes me sad that Mikey and me won't get the chance to sit on the front porch with our grandkids running around. But i refuse to stop living. but somedays it can be overwhelming. I think thats it ok that i feel that way.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you guys started this blog...it's ok to feel whatever you are feeling Kate...you are so strong and brave...I am so proud of you for holding up the way you are!

    ReplyDelete